About Our School

The history of Cummins Memorial Theological Seminary is very long, rich and continuously evolving.  It was founded and formed in 1876 by the Rev. Peter Fayssoux Stevens.  The purpose of the school was to train and educate freemen who were former slaves and sons of former slaves for the ministry of the Reformed Episcopal Church in the South.